Old November 21st 03, 04:58 PM
Jim

Exactly the tactic I take with un announced and unwanted salesmen.

I'm here to see the person in charge of maintenence supplies.
"Tough"
Huh? What do you mean? Can I see him?
"No"
Well, I need his name.
"Tough"
Can I get his name?
"If he had wanted something you are selling, he would have contacted you
and you'd already know his name"
But he called wanting some information.
"If he called you, you should know his name."
I didn't write it down.
"Why would I let my maintenence man buy something from a man that can't
write?"
I mean I forgot to write it down.
"Why would I let my maintenence man buy something from a man with no
memory?"
Can I see him or at least talk to him?
"I asume that you can see, so if I let you talk to him you no doubt
would be able to see him, unless he requires you to be blind folded but you
still can't talk to him"
Why won't you let me see him?
"Because he earns about 10 times as much as your trailer trash scumbag
ass does and if I let you see him, you will be costing more money than what
ever you're trying to peddle costs!"

Can I leave my card?
"No, did I mention that you are on private property?"
What do you mean?
"This is private property, you weren't invited, so you're traspassing"
Huh?
"Do you have a village solicitation permit?"
Huh?
"Did you see the sign on the edge of town that says permit required for
solicitation?"

....and on and on and on....

Sometimes it's the funnest part of my day.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply
"Dean Wilkinson" wrote in message
m...
Hi Jay,

Been there, done that. Back in college I had several encounters like
you describe. The first time it was almost an unreal experience and I
felt the ear burning embarassement that you describe. After that, I
learned to be rude as hell to people like that. I have even begun to
take pleasure in saying as absurd and inflamatory statements as
possible to mess with them. Be creative, it can be a gas. Don't be
afraid to be outlandish in your statements or behavior, but above all
else be as contrary and contradicatory as possible!

Dean