Old August 14th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Anthony, question about IFR / IMC

Bob F. wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Ricky writes:

Flying in IMC with visual reference is not dangerous.

That's what John Kennedy thought.

Puleeeze... inexperience flying a Saratoga in marginal VFR results in
exactly what happened. He was simply not competent in flying that
mission. This was a case of a person flying having more money than brains.

I don't know about the money vs brains thing but what happened to
Kennedy has happened to a lot of other VFR pilots operating out of, in,
and around coastal areas, especially around dusk. Spatial disorientation
in this scenario is now and always has been a killer.
What has always bothered me about the Kennedy accident is whether or not
his instructor(s) ever made a POINT of warning him about this. The fact
that everyone in the world knew he would be operating any airplane he
flew in and out of the Martha"s Vineyard Block Island area should have
been a red flag to his instructors.
So for me at least, the REAL issue with his accident has always been
whether or not he had been SPECIFICALLY WARNED of the dangers involved
with flying in this area at dusk. If he was warned, I would believe that
then a case for the for the "money vs brains" thing would be warranted.

--
Dudley Henriques