Old September 19th 08, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alan[_6_]

Default iPhone in a glider?

In article writes:
On Sep 18, 8:59 am, Michael Ash wrote:
Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Has anyone thought about applications for the iPhone 3G platform in a
glider? It has an excellent sunlight readable screen with touch
interface that causes no loss of image quality. It has an
accelerometer built in, a GPS that is probably better than spot,
wireless for speech commands, remote interfaces, etc. fast processor,
lots of ram for large maps and gesture recognition for panning,
zooming, etc. Web access (where available) for a quick weather update
before launch. Seems like an opportunity waiting to happen...

Come up with some good ideas, and maybe I will implement one!

(trimmed)

Unfortunately Apple has some heavy restrictions on what you can do with
the platform, including one that says "Applications may not be designed or
marketed for real time route guidance". I don't know if that would cover
this sort of software or not. From what I hear it's extremely difficult to
get a definitive answer about these things out of Apple without simply
building the app and trying to get it approved. It is possible to work
around these limitations and bypass Apple for distribution, but it tends
to be more work and limit your audience, making it kind of risky.

Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

I just took my new 3G for a flight. gpstracker application works very
well to track flights on google earth. Also gives Long/Lat speed as
well as altitude every 5 seconds. Check it out.

It might be fun, but it is also quite illegal.

47 cfr 22.925 states:

22.925 Prohibition on airborne operation of cellular telephones.

Cellular telephones installed in or carried aboard airplanes,
balloons or any other type of aircraft must not be operated while
such aircraft are airborne (not touching the ground). When any
aircraft leaves the ground, all cellular telephones on board that
aircraft must be turned off. The following notice must be posted on
or near each cellular telephone installed in any aircraft:

The use of cellular telephones while this aircraft is airborne is
prohibited by FCC rules, and the violation of this rule could result
in suspension of service and/or a fine. The use of cellular
telephones while this aircraft is on the ground is subject to FAA
regulations.

The FAA prohibits the use in flight in 91.21, but that generally doesn't
apply to VFR flight in small aircraft. (It essentially forbids use in airliners
and IFR flight.)

The FCC prohibits use in any aircraft when airborne.

The iPhone is being "operated" when it is updating map data. It is even
being operated when it is turned on and talking to cell towers.

To be legal, turn it off, or put it in airplane mode, before takeoff ---
and leave it that way until back on the ground.

Better to save the battery to make a call if you land out.

Alan