Old April 15th 05, 04:56 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Newps" wrote in message

While the CAP sounds like fun and provides a valuable service, I've
heard from people who've tried it that there's a lot of military
wannabes,
politics, and things that take away the enjoyment. Is this common, or
just the situation at some units?

That's very common. When you spend more time doing useless paperwork and
silly training classes than flying its very discouraging. The actual
flying
and SAR mission training is great.

CAP pilots as a group are the dumbest ones out there. Give me a pattern
full of first solo's rather than one CAP pilot in the units 182. They
don't know how to talk on the radio, they have no idea where they are or
where they're going, they don't do what they're told or even what they
request to do, etc. It's amazing that CAP can ever find anybody who went
down.

We had a doctor in a Bo go down near here a few years ago and they called in
CAP for the SAR. They flew for 3 days at 1000 agl searching. One of the
pipeline pilots finally decided to expanding spiral search pattern from the
last known position and found him less than an hour later about a quater
mile fom the center of the CAP grid.