Old July 6th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Mike Kanze

Default Climbing on board a fighter

Max Richter,

Is there a policy that Navy-planes have steps or ladders build in them?

None of which I am aware. That having been said, I can't think of a current USN airframe without a built-in means of ingress/egress.

In the recent past, however, there were USN carrier-based aircraft that required externally-mounted ladders: the A-4 series and the RA-5C come immediately to mind.

And why do many Airforceplanes need external Ladders.

I was not USAF, so I can't answer.

And what do the pilot do when there is no ladder available on this airfield?

Stand by this NG for answers from former Scooter (A-4) and Vigilante (RA-5C) folks.

--
Mike Kanze

"You can't save the earth unless you're willing to make other people sacrifice."

- Dogbert, in Dilbert (6/20/2007)

"Max Richter" wrote in message ...
Hallo Group,
My perhaps stupid question is :

Cockpits of many jetfighterplanes are difficult to board. On most modern
fighters you canīt just step on the wing and swing yourself in the
cockpit of your trusted Hellcat. Cockpits are now 2 or more yards above
the deck.

Now my questions: Is there a policy that Navy-planes have steps or
ladders build in them? And why do many Airforceplanes need external
Ladders. And what do the pilot do when there is no ladder available on
this airfield?

Greetings
Max