Old July 6th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Ed Rasimus[_1_]

Default Climbing on board a fighter

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 20:18:11 +0200, Max Richter
wrote:

Now my questions: Is there a policy that Navy-planes have steps or
ladders build in them?

Can't speak for USN policy, but I can't think of any recent Navy
designs that didn't have some sort of fold-down/out steps.

And why do many Airforceplanes need external
Ladders.

Because we can! The USAF aircraft that I dealt with had internal steps
except for the F-105 which definitely needed a ladder for boarding
although with a bit of dexterity one could dismount without a ladder
by going over the windscreen and sliding down the nose, then supending
oneself from the pitot boom and dropping the final three feet or so to
the ground.

The F-4 had a slide out step that suspended below the cockpit and then
a kick-step or two to climb aboard when a ladder wasn't available.
Even the T-38 had a drop step and kick-step for boarding without a
ladder.

Ladders make it a bit more comfortable and stable to mount the steed
festooned with the various accoutrements of aviation.

And what do the pilot do when there is no ladder available on
this airfield?

Use the built-ins, or have a crew chief pull a truck or maintenance
cart close enough to step onto and then descend.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org