Old February 14th 04, 04:43 AM
dougdrivr

"B2431" wrote in message
From: "* * Chas"

The bottom line is this:

During the Vietnam era it wasn't too difficult for the draft
age sons of the wealthy and/or politically well placed to
find ways of avoiding the posibility of going to Vietnam or
in many cases avoiding military service altogether!

I read somewhere reliable that the casualties of rich people in Viet Nam

was no
lower than that of the poor. Were there more middle class in Viet Nam than
rich? Yes, ofcourse, the "middle class" population is, and was, bigger

than the
upper and lower classes combined.

The percentage of black casualties was roughly the same percentage as the

U.S.
black population etc.

Can we find examples of people using influence to get cushy spots? Sure,

it
happens throughout society at all levels.

I hardly call joining the guard or reserves avoiding the draft since they

are
military services. This is expcially true since there were elements of

both who
went to Viet Nam and you can find the names of some of them on the wall.

By the way, being drafted did not ensure a trip to Viet Nam in the

infantry.
Draftees were given MOS and posts as needed. If memory serves the

percentage of
draftees who saw combat as about 50%.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I'm just pulling numbers out of my ass here, Dan, but I'd guess the number
of total draftees that went to Viet Nam was 50%. The number that actually
saw combat was probably less than 10%.