Old November 12th 18, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Parachute source for gliders and winches

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 16:44:19 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

I hesitate (not really) to ask how you learned what the Spectra could
do.

There was feedback in S&G from early adopters about it and, when we
bought the Skylaunch I'm fairly certain it was in the operating manual.

Disclaimer: I regularly serve as part the airfield's normal operating
crew, but at the launchpoint and driving the cable tow-out truck. I had
some winch training on the Supercat, but don't drive the Skylaunch.

I've only launched and driven with steel cable or plain rope with auto
tow.

I never seen auto tow used - its very much a dieing art over here due to
the availability of good modern winches. Our longest cable run is just on
1km (3270 ft) long. Typical calm weather launches get to 1400ft but I've
had 2600-2700 ft on windy days with a decent velocity gradient in both
ASK-21 and SZD Juniors.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org