Old March 4th 21, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default $1 billion BMS Ooops...

On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 2:55:20 PM UTC-5, Mark Mocho wrote:
Energy density is the "elephant in the room" that determines a lot about electric vs. internal combustion. The Tesla S uses a 100 kWh battery that weighs 1,375 lbs. 100 kWh is approximately the same energy contained in 2.1 gallons of AvGas. So, you have a 2 gallon capacity (about 13 lbs.) in a 1,375 lb. container. Makes perfect sense to me. NOT!

And we aren't even bringing up the environmental impact of producing the battery and then disposing of it when its life is used up.

Has anyone in the SLS group been considering some FLYING?
the wave systems in the East have been awesome in the last few days (Mar02-04)
Not too cold at 10K (-10C) ; an eyeball dream suggested that Lk Placid to Bangor Me
and return (650KM) or much further south would have been possible.
Besides Lk Pl., there must be numerous airports with plowed runways and aprons.

enviously

John Firth (Ottawa)

PS cannot find how to start a new subject!