View Single Post
Old April 22nd 21, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp
external usenet poster

Default Time to hang it up?

I soloed back in 1968 and lasted for about 40 years, I had alway said (when I started) that I would retire when I was 70, which I did, that was 15 year ago and though I dream of soaring often, always watch the sky and clouds and watch a lot of gliding videos, for me I think it was the right decision.. I never wanted a young instructor to tap me on the shoulder and say, "hey, I think you need to take a ride with me." Besides the need for instantaneous decision making in competition flying and the degrading of that as you get older, I owed much to my wife who had endured my hobby for those 40 years. I think this decision can only be made by you and if you do, it is a good one. That doesn't mean you still won't be lurking on these forums. Like it ha been said, "it was a good run!"

gkemp "NK"

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 4:55:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
Pat & JJ Sinclair