View Single Post
Old April 27th 21, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

Default padding in Cobra trailer

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 4:18:17 PM UTC-7, Guy Acheson wrote:
This is a great question that all Cobra owners will have to face.
I have two trailers and replaced the original carpet about five years ago with indoor/outdoor carpet that I put in place with rubber cement.
The hardest part is removing the crumbly foam rubber backing on the original padding. Aweful product.
My second trailer has the padding starting to fall off.

So...JJ...is there a heavy felt product or carpet that has self adhesive backing appropriate for this use?

The foam back carpet was a terrible idea, left over relic from the seventies, it was used as "kitchen carpet" in the US, I'm surprised Cobra was and I guess still using it. They are most likely not even available in the US any longer.
The easiest way to replace this crap is with regular commercial grade "tufted" carpets, readily available at your neighborhood flooring stores . Than once again the problem is the weight with these goods which makes it harder to install once all the previous crap has been removed as I think JJ described it well previously.
The best results can be obtained from automobile carpets (without the foam back) , these are light weight and go around compound curves much more easily. They can be purchased at the neighborhood auto upholstery shops. Even if more expensive remember you don't need a large quantity, so it won't brake the bank.
And since on this subject, please use a good quality contact cement BUT NOT THE GREEN KIND as you may end up with the carpet as headwear- they just don't hold. Unfortunately the old fashioned contact cements are only available in small cans any longer which makes them more expensive.
I could be wrong here as I only tried the local hardware stores and not online.