Old November 27th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Stuck Collective

Linc
I have experienced something similar when foreign objects vibrated
their way under the collective in flight only to be discovered when
trying to lower the collective! If there is time to remove the
offending object all is cool. If it can't be removed it's going to be
back to power manipulation and that dreaded, by turbine pilots, syndome
of "Oh NOOOOO Throttle Movement Required for control. ggg
Amazing what can find its way under that collective.....maps, Jep
charts, books, towels, gloves, map cases, flashlights, tie downs, hats,
etc. Always seemed to happen when you can least afford it to. Murphy
Strikes Again.
Cheers
Rocky
Linc wrote:
I remember reading an article discussing how there were emergencies
that most emergency procedures don't cover because they are
statistically improbable of happening. This article specifically
discussed flying along at cruise and discovering that your collective
could not be lowered beyond your cruise torque setting.

Since cruise torque is generally lower than hover IGE torque, you would
slow your airspeed, and while this initially results in a climb,
ultimately you will slow enough to descend. I have demonstrated this to
other pilots without actually touching down, since the approach was to
a field. I found it was not unlike techniques I was taught to conduct
FADEC Manual approaches.

I was wondering,

1. Does anyone remember the article and its source?

2. Has anyone ever experienced that kind of flight control malfunction?

Linc