Old December 8th 06, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
JohnO

Default Safety of homebuild Helicopters

Gem wrote:
JohnO wrote:
Hi,

Can someone point me to any official accident statistics that would
demonstrate the relative accident rates of various classes of certified
and experimental helos? Specifically I would want to exclude any
accidents that were pilot error or failure of maintenance. and only
consider accidents where there was a design fault

I'm interested to know how safe the design is on the various kit helos,
in particular for Rotorway in the KISS turbine version.

It concerns me that a lot of the luminaries of the kit helicopter world
such as Schramm and Bedo have died in accidents, but I'm not sure if
the reasons were faults in the aircraft or pilot error.

Cheers,
JohnO

I believe Mr. Schramm suffered a heart attack, and died in the air.

Oh. There's worse ways to go I guess...