Old November 18th 17, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Advice on returning to Soaring after over 20 years

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 9:33:13 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
I am finally returning to Soaring after over 20 years, I earned a Private Glider rating in '91 and had @175 flights in 2-33/1-26 and a Private Power rating in '92 and 350hrs.
My goal: Regain currency/proficiency and purchase a standard class non-flapped glider.
Specifically I was looking for advice/opinions on how best to proceed to that goal in a short time frame (140 days)

Question 1: Is it unrealistic to train 2-3 flights a day twice or even 3 times a week?
Question 2: Start out in 2-33 or pay a little more for ASK/Grob from the start? (both options are available to me)

In the next @140 days I would like to get to 60 or more flights.

Certainly sounds familiar, I also took a long break from soaring for almost 27 years. I was very fortunate to fly and log almost 2500 hours in my early years, most of this time was in mostly high performance glass birds like the ASW20 and Ventus along with many others. About 18 months ago I decided to get back into soaring, I guess it would be my final glide in a sport that I thoroughly enjoyed. I contacted a friend who is a CFIG and took a couple of tows around the patch and off to the sky I went. I also bought an ASW24 and my wife and I both fly the 24 very often. Just yesterday I spent almost 3 hours dancing around the sky on the east coast of Florida.
I would only say to you get in the sky and enjoy the great sport! not much has changed, except the instruments and unfortunately you don't see many young faces doing what the both of us enjoy so much. Bob