Old October 3rd 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Jeffrey

Default Sunset and nigh flying definitions

US Federal Aviation Regulation definition of night: From FAR official
definitions
Night means the time between the end of evening civil twilight and the
beginning of morning civil twilight, as published in the American Air
Almanac, converted to local time.

Equipment requirements for night flight: FAR 91.205(c)
(c) Visual flight rules (night). For VFR flight at night, the following
instruments and equipment are required:

(1) Instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (b) of this section.

(2) Approved position lights.

(3) An approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system on
all U.S.-registered civil aircraft. Anticollision light systems initially
installed after August 11, 1971, on aircraft for which a type certificate
was issued or applied for before August 11, 1971, must at least meet the
anticollision light standards of part 23, 25, 27, or 29 of this chapter, as
applicable, that were in effect on August 10, 1971, except that the color
may be either aviation red or aviation white. In the event of failure of any
light of the anticollision light system, operations with the aircraft may be
continued to a stop where repairs or replacement can be made.

(4) If the aircraft is operated for hire, one electric landing light.

I can find no reference in the FARs that further limits gliders to
operations between sunrise and sunset.

Ben Jeffrey

"5Z" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ian Strachan wrote:
Are some people taking the first part of this Sporting Code wording to
mean "sunset" rather than Civil Twilight? Perhaps it would be better
if the wording was something like: "A flight that includes any part of
the official night flying period as definined by the Aviation
Authorities in the country concerned, except ... "

Ian, in the USA, the critical issue is that no AIRCRAFT may fly after
SUNSET without proper lighting. If the sailplane has the proper
lighting, then there are no further requirements (if not carrying
passengers) or restrictions about flying between sunset and sunrise.

The "problem" here is that it is quite easy to still be airborne, and
see the ground, etc, well after sunset. But IT IS NOT LEGAL in *most*
sailplanes. Because the FAR most of us are familiar with has to do
with carriage of passengers, many, including myself, have been under
the mistaken impression that it is OK to fly after sunset, but before
twilight.

So, IMO, all that needs to be stated in the SC is that the flight shall
comply with all applicable regulations of the country concerned -
period. In the USA that means that "day" flight is not permitted
during 100% of the FAA defined day, but only between sunrise and sunset
- UNLESS the sailplane is equipped with anti collision lights.

If we want to legislate safety in the SC, then we should just set a
maximum duration of the flight. If there were a full moon, and my
sailplane had the appropriate lighting, I could very safely repeat my
100km speed triangle in wave at midnight. The flight would be less
than 2 hours in duration, and I would at all times be within a 10:1 or
better glide to a good airport. However, if I were in (for example)
Argentina, it could be possible to work the wave for 20, 30, or more
hours. Would that be safe in a single place glider? How about
multiplace? What if Steve Fossett's Global Flyer were converted into a
motorglider, and he decided to attempt a huge wave flight in the Andes?

-Tom