Old October 4th 17, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FAA ASIAS/NMACS (Near Mid Air Collision) Summary and Analysis

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 1:59:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 11:05:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Perhaps most scary is that 105 Drones encounters were reported since May 2014 with more than half of those (67) in the last 12 months
Average Drone altitude was 4138 ft with one reported as high as FL250

How did a drone get to FL250? I thought they'd run out of battery much lower than that. The hobby type drones, anyway. Do military drones fly that high? Do they use transponders, ADS-B, whatever?

The non-sailplane "gliders" were presumably hang-gliders or para-gliders? Us who fly sailplanes need of course to watch out for those in some of the same areas were we fly, as they seek the same thermals. They are slower moving and easier to see than sailplanes.

Other than taking the UAS part 107 course, I do not know much about drones.
The commercially available DJI Phantom Drone reportedly has a ceiling of approximately 19,000 ft.
The drone at FL250 was spotted over Eustis, ME, by a Part 135 operator on 27 February of this year.
Eustis is within the Condor 1 MOA.
However, the MOA is 7,000 to 17,999 so even the military should not have been operating above FL180.
Details on the drone were never discovered.
I do not know of any drones that have transponders or ADSB, but who knows what the future holds.

There was one hang-glider specifically reported.
No para-gliders listed, but there were about a half-dozen parachutist.
Good point on those labeled just as "glider", they could have been hang-gliders.
The seven that made reports were sailplanes as their N-number and type were specified.
No way to know whether the 23 reported simply as "gliders" were sailplanes are not.
Although one was noted as a "glider under tow" and the N-number of the tow plane was reported by the Falcon Jet departing Hyannis, MA.

I just noticed that there were several other drones that I missed in the original count because they were listed as UAS rather than drones.

Many of the reports also have blank fields, which is why the altitude break down does not total up to 7597.