Old July 27th 03, 02:12 AM

Default Lycoming dieseling?

Hey all. Ran into something a bit odd yesterday. I was doing
some taxiing around the airport, and had to get out and check something.
To facilitate starting in just a minute, and since I was the only one
around, I shut it down with the mags, rather than the mixture cutoff. To
my surprise, right as it was shaking to a stop, it fired every once in
awhile... with the mags OFF! Mag drop, timing, etc was all checked not
too long ago, and in good shape. Compression is excellent, pops through
nicely on all four when pulled through by hand, and makes full static
runup.

Anyone heard of this? I guess I could potentially see that at
this ridiculously low RPM, there's almost 10x the time on the compression
stroke. Perhaphs this is enough time to make it light off once in awhile.
Also, I checked the MP as it was doing this, and since it's so low of RPM,
even at idle it's making 25". This lends credence to the "preignition"
theory.

Also, just for grins, I tried it on a friend's Cherokee 150 (O-320
150hp Lycoming 7:1 CR... mine's an O-360 8.5:1 180hp). I was somewhat
relieved to see his do this to.

Any thoughts?

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *