Old January 29th 18, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Hard Deck

Agreed, my second hospital landing was prefaced by a "glide" I never wanted to do in the first part, absolutely never want me, or others, to do again.
You know the site and that route.
I think you were there for both my lawn landings.
A rusty pilot may have broken something on my second one.
I am all for trying to keep things safe, but there becomes a fine line in certain situations where it is "sorta OK" for one and a statistic for another.

I remember a "squirrel" that landed south at HHSC in a fairly new ASW-24, didn't have enough brake (really!?!?) to stop on the pavement, watched him go over the backside of the hill!
Glad he didn't hit trailers parked down there.
Peeps like that can't land in middling sized field let alone an airport.

The question is, at what level of competence do we write rules for?
Is it different for a regional vs. a nationals?
The possible assumption being that Nats is a higher level. On the other hand, with declining participation in contests, the minimums to get in may be lowered so the site can "maybe" break even.

Sorta screwed one way or another.