Old February 25th 20, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Boeing came close to losing its Starliner crew capsule

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 17:00:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 8:12:50 AM UTC-6, Larry Dighera wrote:
Boeing's competence seems to be eroding. I hope the new CEO can turn
it around. Perhaps Boeing's move of engineering staff to Chicago was
a poor decision. Such a financial-based decision was a mistake, and

Boeing has ZERO eng. staff in Chicago, its all the corporate MBA type HQ.
The closest engineers are in STL at the old McDon. Doug. Plant.

You can thank the outsourcing of software to $9/hour foreigners for all the sw flubs, including 737 Max.. Corporate MBAs at their worst.

I don't pretend to know, but it seems to me that it was not so much
the system software coders who are to blame, but rather the system
designers that failed to anticipate the consequences of sensor
malfunction in their new systems.

I heard the core issue that resulted in the 737 Max disasters/fiasco
was the FAA granting Boeing personnel the authority to inspect/certify
their own product(s?). At any rate, it was Boeing's dubious decision
that additional crew training in the MAX was not required despite
system changes, which had nothing to do with foreign labor as far as I
know.

Whenever safety is put in the hands of accountants, much to their
chagrin the results of their cost-cutting shortsightedness ultimately
results in higher expenses, not savings. But Capitalistic
competitiveness demands that a firm adopt their competitors'
questionable cost-cutting practices or be priced out of the market,
albeit ultimately temporarily...