Old August 10th 04, 02:23 PM
David Megginson

AJW wrote:

You get traffic reports with VFR flight following, too, AJW. That's what it
is for. The real name of FF is "Radar Traffic Information Service" (4-1-14
AIM). Not the best reason for choosing IFR over VFR.

Unless there's a compelling reason not to, I almost always file IFR. It makes
(in my view, at least) flying much easier.

I'm still wavering on this issue, but when flying eastbound, I usually file
IFR so that I can get above the clouds and pick up the strong tailwinds.
Sometimes IFR doesn't make sense westbound because the MEAs are too high
(navaid reception, not terrain) and would put me into the strong headwinds.
North and south are tossups, of course, since you can have a headwind or
tailwind either way. When you're flying a slow, 126-knot plane like a
Warrior, a 30-50 kt headwind or tailwind makes an enormous difference in
your ETE.

When in doubt, I file -- if I get a clearance I don't like and I'm in good
VMC, I can always cancel IFR. If I'm in IMC or MVFR conditions, well, I
need to be IFR anyway.

All the best,

David