Old November 19th 17, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dunflyin

Default Advice on returning to Soaring after over 20 years

I am surprised that in all the replies nobody has mentioned the
phrase that I kept being told when I returned to gliding after a
long break - “We don’t do it that way any more”.

Pre-takeoff checks, CBSIFTCB. No, it is now CBSIFTCBE.

Raise my index finger and call “take up slack”. No, not any more.

Religiously comply with the maximum winch launch speed at all
times. Not any more. Now extra speed is accepted/preferred
during the initial part of the launch. 15 knots above the placard
speed is not a problem.

Once the glider is established in the climb, keep pulling the stick
back to maintain 50 knots or 48 knots if you are really trying for
maximum height. No, we DEFINITELY do not do that any more.

Flying the circuit, turn 90 degrees from downwind to base leg.
No, now it is two 45 degree turns.

All gliders were moved by hand, now they are towed. Gliders
were landed back at the launch point, aiming for two or three
wingspans from any glider waiting for a launch. Launches were
not delayed by gliders overruning the launch point.

To achieve a fast launch rate, the strop / weak link was not
changed between launches - K21, K13 and Ka8 were all launched
using the same weak link. We DEFINITELY do not do that any more.

A downwind landing was frowned upon. Now it is an acceptable
option following a failed launch or other contingency.

What other changes to procedures have returning pilots noticed?