Old March 1st 20, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ELY 2020

I was talking to a tow pilot about the fact that Ely is mostly un-landable for 100 miles all around the place and there seems to be a thunderstorm over the airport every afternoon in June and July! His reply was, “just land on the silver sage and I’ll come get you”! ...........OK, I ask, what’s Silver Sage? He explained that it’s a very light colored (silver) sage brush that grows on most dry lakes and level ground in the summer and only gets about 8” high. Best to have this all arranged ahead of time with the duty tow pilot, each day, because you may be able to safely land on most silver sage areas, but there’s no roads whatsoever in the places where silver sage grows and the buffalo roam!
😗 JJ