Old March 25th 20, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Trailer access calculation?

I have a similar steep angle from the road to my driveway, but no sharp
turn in the driveway as you describe.Â* I've dragged the tail of my
trailer slowly (skids on the aft end of the trailer), slowly, with no
damage other than noise.Â* I also have an opening in the trees that's
large enough to back the trailer into.Â* Maybe you have something
similar.Â* I wouldn't want to squat down over a cactus to work, however...

Or you could work on your trailer at the airport.

Or, have the wife or one of the kids hold one end of a rope of which
length is equal to the length from the axle of the trailer to the back
end.Â* Maybe add a foot or two for good measure.Â* Have the holder stand
where the wheel on the inside of the turn would be and then walk the arc
of the end of the rope and see if you have clearance.Â* That should give
you an idea of whether it will work.

Good luck!

On 3/25/2020 3:40 AM, John McLaughlin wrote:
I want to bring my trailer home to do some maintenance while we're all
grounded, but I'm not sure if I can access my house from the road. I
have a 90deg bend to get around and then the second issue is a short,
steep slope, which may ground the back of the trailer.

So my question is, if I measure things up, how can I calculate whether
access is theoretically possible? Is there any advice on the internet - I
can't find anything?

I don't want to just try the trailer for size because I fear getting it
stuck.

--
Dan, 5J