Old November 16th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default looking for canopy window

On Nov 15, 3:26*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
TonyV wrote:

Hi, I'm looking for the same thing, or at least the guide rails.....
thanks
Gary Guinn

Wings and Wheels has them -http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page37.htm

US$76 for megaplex and US$122 for polycarbonate. The cheaper rails are
actually recommended because they're not as strong

I've not seen that - was it on the W&W site?

- Do you want your
guide rail to break? or your canopy?

What is the "procedure" for breaking a rail and not the canopy? Are
there situations where a canopy rail that doesn't break might protect
the canopy, say, if someone attempts to lift the canopy with the rail?
If the rail broke, I can imagine the screw(S) holding it to the canopy
might then crack the canopy.

Why, yes, I am a bit skeptical of the claim!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* * * New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

In 2004 I bought a set of Mecaplex rails from Williams Soaring.
Standard whatever they're made of $60.00 a pair. In July of 2006 I
dropped my canopy, from 1700 feet AGL. The Canopy broke, the rails
didn't. The 'vent window', however, was chipped on several edges.
What's this all mean?? I have no idea, except the 'normal' rails seem
to be more than adequately strong.