Old July 24th 18, 04:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Carrier Calamities, pt 1 - Corsair prang USS Shangri

In article , Stormin' Norman says...

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 08:23:29 -0500, Mitchell Holman
wrote:

Hey Mac, you lose something?

I don't think anyone took pictures of my incident on the USS Antietam
(CV-36)........ good times......sigh.

I attended UC at Davis CA...Davis airport at the time...1960s...had a small
asphalt runway, no tower (Unicom only) and could handle Cessna 150 type
aircraft. I was out there one Sunday and a Navy reservist tried landing in a
12,000 pound A-1 SkyRaider to visit a friend at the school.

After landing, he struggled to taxi it but the tires sank into the 3/4 inch
thick asphalt as he tried to brake and turn. To get out of the rut/hole he was
digging, he applied full power to the engine but the huge amount of prop wash
latterly was ripping off sheets of asphalt 12 inches long, slamming them into
the parked small planes!!

After shutting down, he climbed out and apologized saying "I didn't mean to
break your airport"...not sure what happened afterwards but I'm sure it wasn't
pleasant for him or the damaged aircraft and their owners.

True story...actually jaw dropping to watch...I was an ROTC student enrolled in
their aviation training program and flying a 150.

*