Old October 29th 04, 12:10 AM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article , Peter Seddon
writes

"Fred Blair" wrote in message
ink.net...
My new laptop does not have a serial port for connecting to my Cambridge
GPS.

What are the best options?

USB to Serial - I hear of those not working.

PCMCIA to Serial - Is this an option.

Any advice appreciated.

Fred Blair

I've got a Belkin USB to serial converter, it works OK with my Garmin 12XL
with things like Waypoint+, Auotroute, Lxe and Seeyou but I can't get EWview
to work at all with my logger.

Peter.

Try the free EW Windows uploader available from:

http://www.edavies.nildram.co.uk/ew/...der/index.html

Although I have not tried it using a USB Serial Converter, when used
with serial ports it overcomes the shortcomings of EWVIEW (DOS &
Windows). I would be interested to hear how it works with a USB
converter.

Best regards,

Tim Newport-Peace

"Indecision is the Key to Flexibility."