Old December 7th 03, 10:33 PM
John Mullen

Pete wrote:

"David Hartung" wrote

I got about 20, and I was a weapons guy

So was I. When and where were you?

4. You've ever said "oh yes sir, it's supposed to look like that."

"Red 3, the aircrew needs to see you over at -509"
"rog...on the way"

{me}"yes sir? What is it?
{Major Dumbass, Sq Safety Officer}"This pylon is loose. [he grabs the front
of the TER and gives it a shake. The whole Sta 3 wiggles a teeny bit.]

I take a look, and all seems to be in order. Bolts properly safety wired, no
obvious damage or excessive loosesness
"Major...they are *all* like that."
"SARGE!! I have hundreds of hours flying these jets, and I've never seen one
this loose!"

"Major..I have almost 15 years loading and installing these things, and, I
repeat, they are *all* like that. Design tolerances, designed-in 'give', I
don't know. But they do flex a little. This is installed as per the T.O."

"Nope...not good enough. I want this tightened up!"

[sigh]...."Ok, Major. Do you have about 15 mins before you need to engine
start?
"Yep..I want this tightened up"

"OK....Willie (my 3 man), go back to the shop, and get the bigass torque
wrench and the T.O."

(we proceed to remove the safety wire from the 3 pylon bolts)

"All right, Major. We put a grease pencil mark on the bolt and the mating
surface. If, after we put the wrench on it, it has moved, I concede the
point."

(crank up the wrench to the proper setting (IIRC 275 ft lbs))

"CLICK CLICK CLICK"

"Major! Are these grease pencil marks still lined up?"

"hmm...yes"

(grumblegrumblegrumble) "Will there be anything else, Sir?"

"No, I guess not. Thanks"

[sigh]

Pete
I understand his need to make sure...but damn Trust your troops..

Reminded me of Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters, the hilarious cult
album by Robert Calvert. Anybody?

John