Old June 23rd 05, 12:33 AM
William_F

Default cloud base forecasting question

I'm not a pilot, but I've got a question pertaining to aviation
forecasts. I'm a mountain climber who has recently discovered
aviation forecasts that could be very useful in determining cloud base
heights. The idea being that alot of times I'll see a forecast that
calls for rain yet I find out on my climb that I'm easily above the
clouds for great climbing weather. My question has to do with
interpreting cloud base forecasts. For instance, at
http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/c...nge +Location,
I note that on Saturday at 11:00 am they are calling for a cloud base
of 3000-6500'. I'm assuming (maybe I'm way off, but that's why I'm
asking) that this means if I was climbing a mountain at 10,000', I'd
likely be above the clouds. Yet at 11:00 am on Friday at
http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/c...nge +Location,
I note a forecast for clear skies and a cloud base of 12,000' to
"unlimited." I'm not sure what this means, does this mean that even
though it is supposed to be sunny, I may encouter clouds above
12,000'?

Can someone set me straight on what this data is supposed to mean?