Old June 23rd 05, 12:36 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:33:19 -0700, William_F
wrote in ::

I'm a mountain climber who has recently discovered
aviation forecasts that could be very useful in determining cloud base
heights. The idea being that alot of times I'll see a forecast that
calls for rain yet I find out on my climb that I'm easily above the
clouds for great climbing weather.

It seems to me, that you are interested in cloud tops as well as cloud
bases. Cloud top forecast information is difficult to find, but
pilots often report observed cloud top altitudes in what are known as
Pilot Reports (PIREPS). NOAA makes that information available he
http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/pireps/java/