Old October 27th 07, 05:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
muff528

Default Historic Bombers Boeing B-50 Bomber BW.jpg

wrote in message
ng.com...

On 25-Oct-2007, "muff528" wrote:

I wondered if this was a tanker. A friend of my father was killed in a
KB-50
explosion near Bermuda sometime in the late 50's or early 60's.

Tell me more about this. My Dad flew KB-50J Tankers out of England AFB,
622
Tact. Air. Refueling Squadron, in the early 1960s, and did frequent TDYs
out
of Bermuda. There were a number of A/C losses at the time, from engine
fires, explosions, etc. before the KB-50s were taken out of service in
early
1964, including one flown by a Capt. Pallow that just blew up in mid air,
suspected bomb bay fuel leak or related cause. The KB-50J A/C were old
and
very creaky, and downright dangerous to fly.

Brian

Capt. Roman Pallow was Dad's friend. I'll have to ask him if he knows any
more details about the incident.
I just did a Google search and found this newsletter which mentions the
explosion on Feb. 9, 1962:

http://www.tactankers.com/december2004.pdf

Scroll down to page 4 in the pdf.

Tony P.