Old August 5th 04, 12:39 PM
Jules

Default Training Q - Is this appropriate

Scott D. wrote:

WTH are you talking about.

The terms of insurance at his fllight school.

As for the other, where do you draw the line?

Student "pretty much ready" or the student really ready?

If the instructor is "suggesting" a trip based on his desire to go
somewhere, or if the student is asking for more extensive experience?

Is this a case of the student suffering a lack of motivation and this
would be a good thing to perk up the enthusiasim?

Of course you don't see any conflict of interest in the "suggestion
making". You probalby would argue that it is the first time this "idea
and destination" have happened with this instructor and student? If the
motivation is to save the students money then why didn't the benevolent
instructor waive his fees in the first place? Why does a flight
instructor say, "I don't want payment"?

This is a form of student abuse. Not always, but your inability to
consider the posibility says something too doesn't it. I'm looking out
for Matt, not your feelings.

Why shouldn't Matt finish things spending his time really training?
Wouldn't it be better for him and his family? If something ever happened
one day should they look back and think, "Geee, he was ready for his
ride sooo early the instructor didn't want to charge him any more money
and they just goofed off, short cutting the training, visiting the
instructors relatives."

There are times and places for this but yau have to be alert for the
obvious potential of abuse. Are you oblivious to this or do you
acknowledge the potential. And Scott, if you do acknowledge the
potential, pray, teach us all what any warning signs might be.
Or do you choose, "I am oblivious".

Matt wrote the subject line.

It sounds like Matt is taking things seriously and wants to work and
isn't really needing a motivational flight. So, to who's benifit is it?

Is it a mistake for Matt to tell his instructor he wants to keep up the
workload and trainging and will get experience when he has his ticket to
learn?

No we can't tell from this vantage point. Either way.

Gosh Scott, you sure do hit hard. And you are really fearless about
liability issues. I've learned my lesson.