Old September 3rd 03, 12:43 PM
Roger Long

Come to think of it, that may be true of the 172 also. I usually fly short
final at 1500 RPM and go to idle crossing the numbers. I think I often put
in a bit of power with the last notch of flaps to set a good descent rate.
At this point, I'm not paying much attention to numbers but flying by the
windshield. I do keep an eye on the airspeed however.

If the engine quit, it would probably be pretty evident by the far end of
the runway disappearing behind the sun visors and a dramatic descent rate if
you kept the airspeed up. That would still be pretty exciting if you
weren't paying attention. Maybe that's why the lawyers made Cessna reduce
maximum flaps to 30 degrees.

Back when I was still learning to land, the steeper my descent, the better
my touchdowns. I gather the reverse is true for most people.

--
Roger Long