Old May 14th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Motorhome towing a glider trailer

Wayne Paul wrote:

Eric,

I really like your little motorhome. It looks like the space available is
used very efficiently. How many miles are on the odometer?

130,000 miles, almost all of it with my 34' glider trailer behind it. I
have to disagree with bumper's assertion that "quality construction" is
important these days: I think it's layout and size that are important,
instead.

As for towing (the original topic), it's perfect:

*very stable, even in strong crosswinds, due in good part to it's
relatively long wheelbase
*reasonable mileage (10 mpg/60 mph with the 2400 lb trailer), due to
it's small size of 23' and moderate weight
*sufficient power to maintain 60 mph, except on steep or high altitude hills
*comfortable enough that my wife looks forward to month long trips even
if the glider comes with us! Or two months, sometimes.
*and it drives nicely enough she'll drive it when I fly off into the
distance, heading for our next stop

Wayne, I'll email you a bit more about the motorhome specifics.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org