Old May 14th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Default Motorhome towing a glider trailer

Sorry if this is off topic . . .

"Tuno" mentioned the Mercedes/Dodge Sprinter 3500 chassis. While the turbo
diesel and mileage is very appealing, there other downsides to consider in
some motorhomes with this chassis as offered by many of the manufacturers.
It has a max GVWR of only 11030 lbs. This might be reasonable, but not when
they load this chassis to the gills in terms of weight. Often, when the
driver climbs in, the vehicle is already over gross if full water and fuel
are on board.

To get around problem, some RV manufacturers resort to a couple of ploys.
First they try to avoid mentioning CCC (combined cargo capacity - or the
weight left for cargo after adding full fuel, water, propane and
"standard"150 lb bodies for each of the sleeping position). Then they
consider such niceties as generator, roof air, awning etc, as dealer
installed options. As such, they don't have to figure these heavy items in
computing the CCC. The'll even limit fresh water capacity to maintain at
least some CCC.

More than a few motorhomes on the highway are over gross, with poor braking
and marginal handling in emergency avoidance manuevers . . . not that they'd
be all that good to begin with.

As to Eric's thoughts, "I
have to disagree with bumper's assertion that 'quality construction' is
important these days: I think it's layout and size that are important,
instead."

I agree, quality doesn't seem important to many people nowadays. I think
that's a shame really, and perhaps even short sighted. Why not have quality
and a good floor plan and features? The alternative, shoddy workmanship and
construction, quite often results in frustration when things break down, or
the RV comes apart around you in a roll over accident resulting in otherwise
preventable injury or worse.

A well designed and built motorhome will be free of squeaks and rattles,
have good weight distribution* and handling with a low CG, and a CCC
reserve (as an example, my Lazy Daze "mid bath" has about 2,400 lb of CCC
available for adding food, supplies and other "junk" . . . though at 10.5
mpg or so, it sure can't equal the Sprinter chassis for mileage).

*There was a recent recall where one model's weight distribution overloaded
the weight capacity of the front end (not a Sprinter chassis btw). Their
fix? Add weights to the rear bumper. No kidding!

bumper
zz