Old March 14th 04, 11:39 AM
M. H. Greaves

pretty much but it would depend on what altitude you were at and how far
away you were form home, i've read a few instances where they were just on
the other side of the channel and made it; maybe not to their own base, but
to somewhere like manston, or woodbridge or bellied in on a field.
"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
Dale wrote:

In article ,
(ArtKramr) wrote:

Unless of course the hydraulic system has been shot out in which case

both
flaps and landing gear would be down. As I vaguely remember it that
hydraulic
sytem in a B-17 worked off one engine.I don't remember which one. But

might
be wrong about that, Check with a guy who flew B--17's to be sure. But

you
could justify showing it with wheels and flaps down if an engine is

shut
down.
You might add a trail of smoke for reality. How about a red flare or

two
fired
from the B-17 to show wounded aboard?

The hydraulic system on the B-17 operated the cowl flaps and the
brakes...nothing else. The gear and flaps were electrically operated.
The hydraulic pump was electric, there is no engine driven pump on the
B-17 so having an engine out wouldn't affect the hydraulics.

I've got a little over 300 hours in a B-17.

Dale, with some time on them I'm sure that you'd agree that when
limping home on two engines having your flaps or gear down would
very likely ruin your chances of ever getting home, right?.
--

-Gord.