Old December 2nd 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
[email protected][_1_]

Default Why so many 310s for sale?

Jay,

I agree that the Cirrus/Columbia/Diamond Star aircraft are having an
impact on the light twin market. In many cases the SR-22 or the
Columbia's are actually faster than many light twins, and they have
much better avionics. However, at this point, there are a lot of 310s
with low time engines, nice avionics, and relatively new paint &
interiors; that are selling for relatively low prices (about 1/3 of
what a Cirrus goes for new). As I mentioned to you, at some point in
the next couple of years, I'm going to have to trade the Pilatus for
something more practical. It is tempting to look at a late 60s or early
70s 310 that has been nicely taken care of, although the fuel bills
would be significant, and the reserve for engine & prop overhauls would
have to be huge. If the conversations I had with insurance agents at
Oshkosh were accurate, I might be able to get insured on the 310
cheaper than on a Cirrus.

In the end its probably all wishful thinking, but a nice 310 would be a
great plane.

Eric Bartsch
1959 Pilatus P-3 A-848
http://www.hometown.aol.com/bartscher/P3A848.html

On Dec 2, 10:43 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
The 310 always looked like an interesting plane to me. With prices the
way they are right now, it looks like there are some bargains out
there.I agree, it's a cool plane. The coldest I've ever been in my life was

flying a 310 into Rochester, MN....but I digress...

The twin market in general has taken a huge dump. Two friends on the
field who own twins (an Aerostar and a Baron) have completely given up
trying to activiely sell them, because they can't possibly get back
anywhere near what they've got invested in them.

I think part of this is cyclical (people have to get used to higher gas
prices again, every few years), but part of this is a real sea change.
For a long time, being a "real pilot" meant retractable gear and two
engines. Now, with Cirrus and Lancair/Columbia proving that fixed gear
doesn't mean "slow", and Richard Collins (of Flying Magazine) almost
single-handedly proving that two engines doesn't mean "safe", I think
we're seeing a real move away from the traditional twin-engine plane.

Which is great, if you're buying, and really sucks, if you're
selling...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA