Old May 21st 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default PDA: Which one and what software?

Hi!

Does Radar Watch include Europe radar, or is it US only?

Frode

"Newps" skrev i melding
. ..

wrote:
Hello, I am a private pilot aspiring to move up the rating and get my
CFI.

I am in the market for a PDA to help organize my life, dates, phone
numbers, addresses, emails, and also double as a electronic flight
computer and sort of a electronic flight bag type of thing.

My laptop is a Powerbook Mac and my desktop is a PC.

Should I go with a Palm pPilot (OS) or a Pocket PC? And which have
better software for aviation?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I am a total newbie when it comes to
PDA's.

First let me state that with what you will spend on the PDA and stuff for
flying you'd be better off getting a Garmin 295. You can get them for
$500 pretty much every day. But if you just got to get the PDA:
You want one with bluetooth. Then get a bluetooth GPS. I've got the
Altina GBT708. Got it off ebay for about $75. For flying purposes
spending more on a GPS really gets you nothing more in usefulness or
accuracy. I have a Dell Axim X51v, I've also used the X50v and the X50
mid, they all work great, no difference between them. For software I've
tried most of them. Anywheremap is OK but breaks my basic rule with any
PDA software, never buy something you don't get a free trial on. My
favorite is NavGPS Pro. They all work, the difference is what the
interface looks like. To me NavGPS is far better than all of them. For
flight planning you can't beat WingX from Hilton software.
The main problems you have with a PDA is the screen can get washed out
in bright sun and you really gotta have it plugged in to the lighter
otherwise the battery gets sucked down too fast. My Dell also has
wireless so the WingX program will go online and get the weather as well
as the usual email and surfing. Another weather program I like for the
Dell is called Radar Watch 2. It's the best radar display I've found for
the PDA. Loads fast and loops radar.