Old September 9th 03, 02:36 PM
Ed Rasimus

Juvat wrote:

Fair question, one I cannot answer. If the threat were that great,
then why not bring the superior interceptor (the F-106) in to replace
the F-102, I cannot answer that one either. I guess the F-102 was so
good at it's mission the AF only needed 24 or so in SEA (four 6 plane
Dets) and that might be proof of its effectiveness as an Interceptor.

Juvat

Simple answer to your question regarding why 106's weren't deployed
instead of 102's. During '66 to '69, there was a chronic shortage of
J-75s. Since the Deuce used the much more common J-57, it was more
readily deployable.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled: