Old June 23rd 04, 05:55 PM
John Hairell

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:15:02 -0600, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

There were all kinds of FACs. There were ground FACs, air-FACs,
Fast-FACs and even strange, semi-civilian FACs in unusual places.

It sounds like your question is in regard to classic, slow-mover,
air-FAC in support of ground troops. The US military operates
"jointly", meaning that forces of one service support forces of
another service under control of a joint command structure. Marines on
the ground could get support from any FAC who could employ any air.

Ed,

In the Vietnam era could Army ground troops at the company or lower
level talk directly to a FAC?

In the Vietnam era could Army ground troops at the company or lower
level talk directly to a USAF aircraft providing CAS if a FAC wasn't
around to coordinate?

I'd like to hear your comments on this because I've heard (on the Army
side) there were all sorts of coordination problems with CAS/FAC ops
in SEA, and things weren't quite a "joint' as you indicate. In my
experience in the late '70s/early '80s Army ground troops could not
communicate directly with any USAF fast movers but they could
communicate directly with Army aviation assets, i.e. basically the
same set up as in SEA if my understanding is correct.

[rest snipped]

John Hairell )