Old June 11th 18, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Electric Self Launch System

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 11:54:06 PM UTC-4, Emir Sherbi wrote:
Yes, they are very reliable and stable. They have very long life cycle. But the energy density is lower. For the same capacity you have to think in more than 60% of weight increase.

I'd be very happy to have something soon that could sustain 30 minutes of flight at best glide speed. Maybe I'd upgrade to self-launch later when higher energy density batteries become available, but maybe not.

The 'best' is the enemy of the 'good enough'.

Having learned my lesson with Betamax, I'm looking for the VHS of electric propulsion. My glider is 20 years old. There is a limit to how much I want to sink into it.