Old July 20th 04, 10:47 PM
Gig Giacona

Mainly to protect thier dealers..

"Jay" wrote in message
om...
I have a Garmin product myself, and its a really a piece of kit, but
my question is what are the reasons that make it advantagious for a
company to set this type of pricing policy?

(GaryP) wrote in message

om...
" jls" wrote in message

. ..
Well, I think you're correct: Garmin selling to retailers and

requiring
them to set minimum retail prices as a condition of selling to them is

not a
violation of the Sherman Act. It's not a violation either for us who
consider the practice to be sleazy to shun Garmin like it is a skunk

either.

Absolutely! But if only a few of us shun Garmin it will have little or

no
effect on their policy. As I said earlier too bad UPS Technologies

ceased
to exist as an alternative to Garmin. Until a viable competitor comes

along
Garmin will continue to reap the profits of their success and mandate
uniform minimum pricing from their dealers.

GaryP