Old March 11th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default GPS Question

Greg Esres wrote:

Sounds like pure speculation to me. Can you support with any FAA
material?

Doesn't seem speculative to me. The FAA material is the fact that the
final approach couse is a DME ARC printed on the approach chart in bold
type. A good understanding of approach chart symbology would make that
apparent.

Also, there are the TERPS:

523. FINAL APPROACH SEGMENT. TACAN and VOR/DME final approaches may be
based either on arcs or radials. The final approach begins at a FAF and
ends at the MAP. The MAP is always marked with a fix.
a. Radial Final Approach. Criteria for the radial final approach are
specified in paragraph 513.
b. Arc Final Approach. The final approach arc shall be a continuation of
the intermediate arc. It shall be specified in NM and tenths thereof.
Arcs closer than 7 miles (15 miles for high altitude procedures) and
farther than 30 miles from the facility shall NOT be used for final
approach. No turns are permitted over the FAF.
(1) Alignment. For straight-in approaches, the final approach arc shall
pass through the runway threshold when the angle of convergence of the
runway centerline and the tangent of the arc does not exceed 15 degrees.
When the angle exceeds 15 degrees the final approach arc shall be
aligned to pass through the center of the airport and only circling
minimums shall be authorized. See Figure