Old September 17th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

Default running over-square

This weekend the Cessna Pilots Ass'n put on one of their 2-day Systems &
Procedures classes at Sporty's in Batavia Ohio. This one was for 182S, 182T
and T182S/T owners. About 20 owners attended, and it was well worth the trip
and cost.

Anyhow, one of the best tips I picked up from John Frank was to cruise my
engine more over-square than I usually do, i.e., instead of 26"/2400 RPM or
25"/2300 RPM, run it 27"/2200 RPM or 26"/2100 RPM.

I tried this on the way home and found I got the same performance, maybe a
hair better, by trying to get the same % horsepower with more MAP and less
RPM. It was quieter and the fuel flow was down a smidgen, too. According to
John, most of the advantage comes from less internal mechanical horsepower
loss at the lower RPM settings.

This is probably not news to a lot of you folks, but it was to me, and it's
the way I'm going to run from now on.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM