Old December 27th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Todd W. Deckard

Default spins from coordinated flight

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
My thought is that we're splitting hairs in this thread. If the airplane
is in coordinated flight and stalls straight ahead (no wing drop), a spin
can't happen. But on most aircraft, one wing will drop first even if the
ball is centered. This wing drop creates a yaw, opening up the possibility
for a spin.

But the links that Dan_Thomas sent me indicated that the airplane would not
stall "straight ahead" if you were in a climbing turn. The outside wing
has a higher AoA
which diverges even further as it initially drops.

It was intriging to me as our vacation strip demands a short field takeoff
into a hedgerow of trees
and you'd want to be mindful of this if you stumbled into a maximum
performance evasive manuever
thru errors in planning or execution.