Old September 28th 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default ILS approach to near minimums - Video

On Sep 28, 1:36*am, D Ramapriya wrote:
On Sep 28, 8:36*am, Clark wrote:

D Ramapriya wrote in news:2f5fa47a-a9a0-4d76-897e-
:

Jeez, in most videos I've seen of yours, the stall horn has sounded
just before touchdown. I bet you like hairy landings

Just an educational point: a perfect landing includes a full stall about a
foot off the ground. Typically the stall horn will sound about 5 to 10 knots
above the actual stall. Alan's landings appear to be quite good.

In other words, there is no harm in stalling within a few inches of the
runway. On the other hand, there can be great harm in attempting to land way
to fast.

Thanks, mate. Won't this lead to dodgy finals in a situation where the
headwind tails off for some reason (a gust or some such)?

Ramapriya

In most of our SELs the stall warning sounds 5 or 8 knots before the
stall. That's a nice margin. The only time I am not going to want the
stall to sound is if there's a big cross wind and I am running out of
rudder authority at low air speeds. Too much airspeed in the flair is,
in this pilot's opinion, the sign of an airplane driver who has not
been trained well. Ditto, for that matter, for the guy who touches
down in a SEL 2000 feet from his turn off, then finds himself driving
the airplane on the ground for an extra 1000 plus feet. A good landing
in my view is where there's a stall warning, throttle aft, touchdown,
and make the turn off without using throttle or break.