Old January 12th 18, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wingtip Wheels from Libelle 201?

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 5:49:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Anyone have a source for the little hard plastic wingtip wheels that were recessed into the Libelle 201 wingtips? The early gliders didn't have them but I know of at least one owner who got them from Glasflugel and added them later. For those with long memories, W1 (Woody Woodward) installed one just to see if it added any detectable drag (apparently not) before installing the second one. Hahaha.

I've seen several variations of the small tip wheels that are built into a fairing or tip skid that's glued onto the bottom of the tip but not the type that are recessed into the wing as on the 201. Only the bottom half of the small hard plastic wheel protruded from the wingtip but it kept the tips off the ground if a wing dropped while flying and made ground handling a little easier, especially when landing out and having to move the glider solo.

It wouldn't be easy to replace one without opening up the wing (IIRC, the axle was inside of the skin) but I've never heard of anyone having to.

Chip Bearden

Chip,

I have some wheels I got from my HPH 304CZ. Do you know the size you need? I had to special order them and have since sold the glider.

Dan Reagan