Old January 4th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Icing in the scan...

Its possible. I would say that each ice encounter I've had with my
Mooney has been different. I'm not sure why. Once the first thing I
noticed was a slow down and then noticed the ice on the leading edge.
I've seem it where there was no ice on the tail and I have had it where
it started on the tail first. I"m not sure what causes it to form
differently at different times. Luckily, I've always put myself in a
situation where I can get lower in warmer air. I've never been forced
to let it build up. I will say that in stratus clouds the worst ice
seems to be at the very top of the layer. Turning around doesn't help
much in that weather but changing altitudes makes all the difference.
In CU clouds changing altitudes doesn't help much because the ice is
running up and down the elevator but turning helps a lot because CU
tends to be clusted in small regions (vs. stratus that can spred for
hundreds of miles). Mixed stratus and CU would be pretty scarry in ice.

-Robert