Old October 28th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default Was: "Why I'm Not an A&P" - Now: Fixin' Stuff

Mike - Obviously you have a lot of experience that yet may make you
change your mind a little the first time you encounter a stripped
drain plug (who in hell put in that rubber plug?) in that Audi!
NRP

Actually, I still do change the oil in all the infernal combustion
engines I own. I have heard so many horror stories about the local oil
monkeys I am afraid to take any of the cars to them. I do the airplane
because it gives me an excuse to poke around under the cowling and look
for anything that may be amiss.

Oh yeah, I own the "House from Hell". The former hillbillies who lived
here did everything on the cheap with "Bubba the carpenter".

So, I do get mired in goofy projects that go wrong because the last
idiot did it the "easy way". The roof "repairs" they did damaged over 80
sheets of decking. I let the roofing pros rip off, resheet, and replace
the entire thing (Bye Bye $18 grand). The thought of 3400 square feet of
exposed roof (and hauling 120 pound rolls of torch down roofing up
there) was enough to make me throw in the towel right away. I knew I had
done the right thing when they hauled away the SECOND 40 foot dumpster
filled to the top with the old tar and gravel. It took 5 24 year olds
over 5 days to do it. Yikes! Probably would have killed me.

Fun stuff,
Mike