Old April 2nd 17, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default How does sun heat the air?

Sometimes a good meteorology text book that covers topics like atmospheric physics, radiation, optics and the boundary layer meteorology (thermal layer) would answer a lot of the r.a.s questions.

Here's a very complete, up to date and recently published one that you can read on-line or download the pdf for free!

If you are an engineer, you'll love this book because it explains meteorology with equations and examples... no derivations.

"Practical Meteorology - An Algebra-based Survey of Atmospheric Science" (www.eosas.ubc.ca/book/Practical_Meteorology). I haven't reviewed it, but it does have a very comprehensive 35 page chapter on Boundary Layer Meteorology written by someone who writes well and knows what he's talking about.

I met Dr Stull from the University of British Columbia Vancouver last January and he suggested his book. Dr Stull published in 1986 the classic book on Boundary Layer meteorology. He tried to publish this recent text book... but gave up and made it freely available.

Walt Rogers WX