Old October 19th 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Beringer Disc Brake Kit for Schemm-Hirth gliders - experience and effectiveness?

At 20:32 18 October 2017, wrote:
Has anyone ever got a hydraulic Tost disk brake to work WELL on a

Ventus
2C=
M? I'm convinced I've bled my brakes as well as they can be bled,

and
STILL=
the braking is very weak. I get some small braking action, but

nowhere
ne=
ar being able to put the glider on its nose, or flat-spot the tire. I

can
s=
low down for a taxiway turn off, so long as its well ahead, but not

enough
=
to help on a short runway, or enough for a real emergency stop. I

suspect
=
the wire cable between the control stick and the cylinder under the

seat
mu=
st be stretching. I may try a thicker cable (I'm experimental).

I have a Discus-2b with the factory Tost 5" wheel also. We had real
problems bleeding all of the air out of the line. Biggo at the factory
even sent me a pdf file with pictures in order to do it correctly from
the bottom. It was a real bear to get all of the air out. Also,
adjusting the cable/brake handle so that there is no play helps a lot.
Finally, get a new brake pad even if the old one looks OK. The new
one will be thicker, so the caliper won't have to squeeze over as
great a distance to apply pressure. All of these items add up.

RO